last update: 07/30/18
Boylston Auto School, Inc.
dba Gilmore's Driving School
Policies and Conditions
|Our top priorities are the safety of all road users, and providing the highest-quality driver education available anywhere. In order to fulfill our safety obligations to the public, legal requirements dictated by M.G.L. and the RMV, and to offer the finest training available at reasonable prices, the following policies apply to all students:
Definitions of commonly confused terminology: students begin with the classroom session, where students come to the driving school and attend a total of 30 hours of classes while sitting at a desk. There is no driving done during classroom sessions. Students who have paid their tuition in full and have a learner's permit then begin their 12 hours of road lessons, which is the on-road driving portion of driver's ed. The road test is the examination that you take when you are going for your license.
2) Information contained on this website and the Schedule2Drive messages comes directly from the driving school owner.
3) Boylston Auto School, Inc. dba Gilmore's Driving School seeks to maximize public safety by providing a quality educational experience to all students. We are committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, income, lifestyle choices or age. Any restrictions placed on services offered are due to safety concerns or business-related factors such as: logistics, capacity restraints, or cost control.
4) The Junior Operator License (JOL) driver education (a.k.a. "full") course is designed specifically for JOL candidates and for logistical reasons is intended primarily for high school students only.
5) Service is strictly limited to our service area, and registrations from students residing outside of our service area will be returned. Our website will be the sole method of informing you about cancellations due to weather.
6) Tuition balances must be paid in full, parent class taken, and student classroom fully completed before any on-road lessons with us begin. Tuition may be paid by check or cash only (no credit cards accepted).
7) By law, all students must be at least 15 years, 9 months old before beginning the classroom portion of the course. Registrations received without a valid birth date will be returned. A learner's permit is required before any driving may commence.
8) All students will pay a $10 Schedule2Drive online scheduling account fee to set up the road lessons scheduling account.
9) Per industry standards, tuition does not include optional road test sponsorship, nor the driver education certificate fee, nor a total of $85 in license fees which all Massachusetts residents who seek licensing must pay directly to the RMV. Prices are subject to change without notice; any changes to pricing are NOT retroactive to prior registrations.
10) The classroom tuition must be paid in full to hold a spot in a course. No registration is made until this payment is successfully received by the driving school. Accounts which carry a balance for more than one year will be written off. All students must begin driving within six months of taking the classroom sessions.
11) Rescheduling Policy: Rescheduling requests are subject to the following administrative fees based on the time until the originally-scheduled class is due to begin:
- 1) We reserve the right to amend or add to our policies as conditions warrant.
In addition to the administrative fee, students who reschedule must pay any difference in tuition that is in our favor. Only one reschedule request per student will be granted.
- 21 or more days in advance: $25
- Less than 21 days in advance, or after class begins: $50 (reduced on 11/22/15 from $95, reduced on 12/7/17 from $75)
12) Refund Policy: Full refund within 48 hours of initial registration. Cancellation requests must be made in writing and are granted at the sole discretion of Boylston Auto School Inc. management. No refunds will be allowed after any training has begun, nor within 21 days of a course, nor after the scheduled course has begun, nor if the class had already been rescheduled. The administrative fee for refunds (if granted) is $75 (reduced on 11/22/15 from $95).
13) The minimum administrative fee to make any changes to a course registration or road test appointment is $25. Returned checks or credit card chargebacks will incur a $30 fee for each occurrence.
14) Students who miss a class session must make-up the same module(s) if space is available. The availability of make-up sessions is not guaranteed. Students are STRONGLY recommended to take the originally-scheduled classroom sessions in full. There may be a nominal charge to make up a class, since you would be taking away a seat from a paying full-class student.
15) The RMV requires a grade of 80 or higher to pass the classroom course. All classes, lessons and road tests are subject to: class size limits, other capacity restraints, geographic limitations, and prior sale. We reserve the right to refuse service via non-acceptance or refund of payment. To ensure plentiful road lesson availability for existing students, we reserve the right to cut off registration for new students at any time, for any length of time. Please plan ahead. We urge you to register for the desired classroom session at least two months in advance. Our website will be the sole method of informing you about cancellations due to weather.
16) Student classroom must be fully completed, and parent class taken, before students begin road lessons. Our website will be the sole method of informing you about cancellations due to weather.
17) Customers are advised that safety is our top priority, even when safety conflicts with customer demands. Students who are not progressing well, usually due to a lack of practice at home, will not be allowed to rush through their lessons with us nor be admitted into one of our road tests until we believe that the full 40 hours of training at home as required by Massachusetts law has been fully completed.
18) Under extremely rare circumstances, at the sole discretion of Boylston Auto School Inc. management, we reserve the right to terminate our relationship with students who are reckless or who lack necessary basic skills (including English language) to drive safely, those who abuse our personnel, vehicles or facilities, students who refuse to use Schedule2Drive to schedule their lessons or those who abuse our online scheduling system (too many late cancellations or no-shows). If we initiate termination, a pro-rated refund will be issued.
19) Deadlines: Students must pay the driving tuition within 30 days from the end of the classroom sessions. More than 30 days after the classroom, driving tuition will not be accepted and your account with us will be closed. The Schedule2Drive account must be created, and driving with us must begin, within 90 days of the end of your classroom sessions. Students are allotted one year from the first training event (classroom, road lesson or parent class) to finish all requirements, unless we specify a shorter time limit in advance. After one year, our contract with you ends and there will be no refunds. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will students who miss any of the above deadlines be allowed to begin the driving curriculum between July 1 and September 15.
20) The time required to finish your road lessons depends on weather and other natural/seasonal factors, the timing of school events such as vacations and sports seasons, temporary business conditions (such as staffing changes, employee vacations or illness, etc), the frequency that you log into your online account, your availability for lessons, and the priority that you place on your driver education. Students who have multiple or unpaid late cancellation/no-show fees, those who are obviously not practicing enough at home, and those who are trying to finish much too soon, may have a significant (up to 14-day) waiting period between lessons. To distribute lessons equitably during occasional demand spikes, a small waiting period between lessons will be activated for all students. Your best strategy is to begin early, log in every day (ESPECIALLY ON WEDNESDAYS AND THURSDAYS), and spread out your lessons evenly. Please also remember that we are providing a quality education which requires time to properly absorb, along with a minimum 40 hours of "homework". The weekly number of lessons picking up at a given location is determined statistically by the number of our students at that location. We pick up at local high schools and other convenient locations, but not at home. Allow at least 8 weeks from the date that your Schedule2Drive account is activated to complete your lessons. Our website will be the sole method of informing you about cancellations due to weather.
21) Lesson no-shows will be assessed a $35 fee. Arrival to a lesson without a learner's permit or required vision correction is considered to be a "no-show". Late cancellation with less than 6 hours' notice will be charged a $30 fee. Late cancellations with 6 to 18 hours' notice will be charged a $25 fee. Cancellation between 18 hours and 36 hours prior to a lesson, or cancellation less than 24 hours in advance due to a legitimate injury or illness will incur a $15 fee. No-show or late cancellation of a double lesson (2 hours driving for one student) will incur a double fee. All fees are logged by Schedule2Drive at $35 per occurrence and will be manually adjusted by us as necessary. All cancellations must be made via the bottom of the Schedule2Drive student homepage. Cancellations cannot be made by voicemail. Students who accumulate two or more late/no-show fees or carry a balance as of the end of each calendar month will be deactivated until all outstanding fees are paid. We reserve the right to implement a longer student-specific waiting period between lessons for those who abuse our scheduling system.
22) If you believe that the amount of time that you were credited for a lesson is incorrect, that you were unfairly charged a missed lesson fee, or you have any other service-related issue, you must bring the problem to the attention of the driving school in writing within 10 days of such occurrence.
23) Due to personal, religious, or weekly workload reasons, instructor availability for road lessons on Sundays is limited. Massachusetts law requires all employees to have at least one day off per week.
24) Boylston Auto School, Inc. dba Gilmore's Driving School is not responsible for delays, temporary service shutdowns, temporary service reductions, postponements/cancellations, or difficult driving conditions (including on road test days), due to adverse weather, holidays and employee vacations, RMV errors/omissions, changes in RMV policies, problems due to RMV understaffing, changes in Massachusetts law, disease epidemics/pandemics, natural disasters, war/terrorism, fuel shortages, or any other situation beyond our control. Our website will be the sole method of informing you about cancellations due to weather.
25) The Saturday/Sunday road test is an optional service that we provide by invitation only. We reserve the right to postpone, cancel or discontinue weekend road test service due to bad weather, if we do not have enough students ready to meet RMV minimum (20) requirements, the RMV substantially changes its procedures, or for any other reason deemed necessary by our owner/manager. Availability is not guaranteed to anyone, and we reserve the right to refuse service based on our assessment of an applicant's attitude or preparedness, capacity limits, or any other reason as deemed necessary by ownership and/or management. In the interest of public safety, students who are reckless or unable to navigate safely without instructor assistance upon completion of their 12 hours of lessons will not be admitted. Due to RMV policies and procedures, students must finish all requirements at least 2 weeks before the road test. Our website will be the sole method of informing you about warmup lesson cancellations due to weather.
26) We must receive payment of our our road test sponsorship package fee at least 3 weeks before the desired road test. Any outstanding balances due to the driving school must also be settled before you may proceed. Applicants are not added to the road test list until the sponsorship fee is received. Paying the separate RMV licensing fee does not enroll you into our road test. The RMV no longer mails a paper certificate, it is now simply an entry on their computer system which may be accessed from the RMV website. The certificate must be processed and on file before a road test may be scheduled. To cover RMV fees and our processing costs, students who are not taking the off-hours road test with us must submit a payment of $25 to Gilmore's Driving School. Expect certificate processing to take up to 7 days before a road test may be scheduled.
27) Road test dates are scheduled by us via the RMV on a competitive first come, first served basis in competition with approximately 200 other Massachusetts driving schools. Projected exam dates and related deadlines are subject to postponement or revision (including changing the date unexpectedly to a weekday) by RMV due to lack of available examiners, holidays and other reasons. A total of $85 in RMV license processing fees is not included in our tuition or road test sponsorship fee, and must be paid directly by you to the RMV. Our website will be the sole method of informing you about cancellations due to weather.
28) We reserve the right to postpone the road test date for anyone who, in our singular opinion, lacks necessary skills or presents a hazard. There are additional driving school and RMV fees for a road test retry. We strongly urge candidates to prepare thoroughly before attempting a road test. The pass/fail decision is made solely by the RMV examiner and cannot be overridden by the driving school sponsor. Because your chances of passing are influenced by factors beyond our control such as the quantity and quality of your practice at home and how well you function under pressure, we cannot guarantee the results of your exam. Due to capacity constraints, safety concerns and other factors, applicants are limited to two attempts maximum at this venue. It is the responsibility of the applicant to check the Schedule2Drive message board for updates regarding the road test date and times. Do not expect us to call, text or email you
29) The driving school reserves the right to use any vehicle in the fleet for the road test.
30) Students are expressly forbidden to practice the road test route in their own car. Anyone found practicing the road test route and/or shadowing the road test vehicle may be removed from the exam roster and blacklisted by the RMV.
31) Road test applicants who fail for speeding or dangerous maneuvers, or those who make false claims for the reason that they failed, or any student who unfairly blames the driving school, will not be offered a retest. Students who are unsuccessful on the first try must retake the exam with 10 weeks, if accepted.
32) Boylston Auto School, Inc dba Gilmore's Driving School is not responsible for system outages, IT glitches, delays, errors, cancellations by, or omissions at the RMV. This includes, but is not limited to, postponement of road test dates, cancellations, delays in processing licenses or driver education certificates, incorrect permit/license information, or rejection/omission from road test lists. Please note that the RMV must give final approval for your name to appear on our list for an off-hours road test. .